Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Like a moth to the flame, I am to the Games of Torch

So as usual my pre-planned night of paper-writing became write 3/4 of a page, watch 2 hours of Olympics, write another 3/4 of a page, more Olympics. Even the threat of 70% of my grade in a class relying on my usefulness this week isn't enough to beckon me away from the excitement.

Today Michael Phelps collected golds 4 & 5, as well as WRs (world records) 4 & 5 of the Games. What does a WR even mean these days if every single swim race seems to produce one (or multiple in many instances)? Well, I'll share some theories, but it will have to be another day.

How heartbreaking was it to see Alicia Sacramone's meltdown after falling off the beam in the team competition today? I could barely watch. China certainly gave the US plenty of opportunity to snag the gold, but they never fully capitalized on the host country's mistakes.

I guess the US getting the silver just makes that 1996 "Magnificent Seven" team win in Atlanta all the more special. Besides, how much of a team is it if only four competed? (Actually, don't answer that, I know the answer to that question.)


Actually now that I think about it, prime time tonight was just about the most perfect few hours of Olympic watching there could be. All swimming and gymnastics. I'm down for that!

This will probably be my last Olympic update for a few days, or at least the rational side (cell?) of my brain hopes so. Til then, I bid ya adieu.

PS, If they happened for the 2004 Athens games, I don't remember, but I'm loving the nightly Bela Karolyi-Bob Costas chats in NBC Primetime. And by chats I pretty much just mean listening to Karolyi. That guy is so enthusiastic and hilarious, it definitely keeps me watching! If you're wondering why you've heard his name, you probably remember him from this:

No comments: