Friday, August 1, 2008

Annoying phrases and other meaningless drivel

It's been a whole week since a rant post, but frankly, it's time...

"Burning the midnight oil, eh?"

That has got to be one of the most annoying phrases ever vocalized. I can just see an old guy you barely know but thinks he knows you well saying it about you reading something at midnight, or pulling an all-nighter to write a paper. Or in reference to your retelling of such an incident.

Why does everyone who says this phrase think they are saying something insightful or funny?

I'm pretty convinced that saying something as "phony" as that, to quote Holden Caulfield, you either have to be 40+ or just a huge jackass.

While we're on this subject, here are some other annoying phrases and questions posed to me regularly (thanks SW, I'm sure you know which one I'm crediting you with):
  • It is what it is... (Really? You don't say.)

  • Hey, did you know you're sunburnt? (Um, do you think I'm hard of feeling sunburn?)

  • Do you know how many calories are in that? (I'm eating chicken fried steak, and yeah I'm aware of the consequences you bumbling idiot. Isn't it evident that I don't care?)

  • You knew what you were getting yourself into. (Yeah true, but how is this "incisive" comment helpful?)

  • Fair enough. (What does that even mean?)
That's all for now because I actually do have to go B the m-n O now. Translation: stay up really late to perform an arduous reading task I should have hours/days ago. Gross.

No comments: